Zira is a seed of spicy grass - Indian cumin, which is grown in Asian countries and is quite popular there. From cumin, which sprouts in our territories, it is characterized by larger and darker grains, as well as a strong and rich aroma. In most countries of Asia, Africa and Latin America without this spice should be used in any dish. It is added to meat, side dishes, pastries and even confectionery. This spice is also a mandatory component of marinades, used for pickling cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and other vegetables.
Caraway Seeds consist mainly of fatty and essential oils, as well as gums and proteins. In addition, they include the following useful substances for the human body:
- cumin alcohol;
- almost all b vitamins;
- ascorbic acid;
- magnesium and others
Zira has a very high caloric content, which is 375 kcal per 100 g of seeds. However, people who suffer from excess weight, do not worry about the amount of spice they consume.
Zira has a strong cleansing and diuretic effect, and therefore even at high caloric contributes to weight loss.
This spice not only gives the food a rich taste and spicy aroma - its use also has a positive effect on health. The main beneficial properties of spices should include the following:
- has a tonic effect;
- improves digestion, increases appetite;
- helps to cope with insomnia;
- soothes the nervous system;
- promotes lactation in nursing mothers;
- eases morning sickness during pregnancy;
- relieves skin irritation, removes acne;
- acts as an antiseptic;
- cleans the respiratory ways;
- has a diuretic effect, removes toxins from the body;
- prevents blood clots;
- normalizes the kidneys;
- improves vision;
- positive effect on male potency.
Zira in medicine
Today, due to its properties, Zira is actively used to treat a variety of diseases, and it is used as in folk medicine and official.
- made from caraway seeds tea improves the immune system, resulting organism in the necessary tonus, significantly improves well-being.
- Grains of this plant are used in neurology as a remedy for amnesia and other memory disorders.
- Zira is used externally for the treatment of various tumors. To do this, grind the seeds into powder and mix them with olive oil to form a homogeneous slurry. The resulting mixture is applied to the problem areas.
- This spice is used to treat diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. To enhance the therapeutic effect, it is also mixed with ground coriander and cardamom.
- Doctors recommend this spice also as a cough medicine. It liquefies phlegm and facilitates expectoration.
- Tea made from Zira, fennel and coriander, promotes better digestion and normalizes the entire digestive system.
- If brewing in water the seeds of this plant, then the resulting brew will help to cope with nausea and vomiting.
- caraway Seeds can also disinfect wounds and speed up their healing. To do this, they are placed directly on the site of damage.
- Taking daily rubbed grains of cumin with honey, can improve memory and brain activity.
- Prepared from the seeds of this plant broth helps to relieve headaches and even cope with a severe migraine attack.
Zira in cosmetology
The Use of Zira is not limited to its medicinal properties. Oil this seasoning is used in cosmetology. It is obtained from cumin seeds by cold pressing. This oil is added to a variety of cosmetics for the skin - masks, lotions, tonics and creams. In their composition, it promotes toning and whitening of the skin, cleanses the pores, prevents wrinkles, eliminates inflammation.
It is also used as an anti-cellulite agent. To obtain the desired effect, it should be regularly rubbed into the problem areas. zones.
Recently, on the shelves are increasingly found shampoos and rinses made on the basis of seeds of Indian cumin. They allow you to get rid of dandruff and contribute to more intensive hair growth.
This oil is also actively used in perfumery, where it has gained wide popularity due to its rich and pleasant aroma.
Caraway Seeds promote fast and effective weight loss due to the fact that effectively clean the intestines, remove toxins from the body, and also have a strong diuretic effect. In addition, their strong taste creates the effect of rapid saturation of food, resulting in a person eats an order of magnitude less.
Use the seeds of this plant can be directly with food as a spice, and as part of various infusions and teas for weight loss.
Appropriate teas can either be purchased at pharmacies and specialty stores, or make your own. To do this, add caraway seeds to the water in the following proportion: 1 teaspoon per glass of water. If desired, the effect can be further enhanced by using in the composition of this tea and fennel seeds and coriander. It is better to use it after a meal or in between meals.
In the use of cumin not to forget about some of the contraindications. As with using any other spices, caraway seeds should be observed measure, otherwise you can cause irreparable harm to your body.
In addition, this spice must be completely abandoned by all who suffer from gastric ulcer or duodenal ulcer. Another contraindication to its use is inflammation of the gastric mucosa.
Limit the consumption of Zira also if you regularly complain of heartburn.
Very rarely, but some people have and allergic to this spice. That is why, if you have not had a chance to try Zira, enter it into your diet gradually, listening carefully to your own feelings.
How to choose Zira?
If you buy this spice in the supermarket, be sure to check the tightness of the package. When buying spices by weight pay attention to the following factors:
- absence of foreign admixtures among the seeds cumin;
- each of the seeds must be complete and intact;
- the smell of the seeds should be exceptionally pleasant;
- the smell of caraway seeds increases if you stretch them between your fingers.
Note that Zira is not stored for a long time, otherwise it gets a bitter taste. That's why do not rush to buy it immediately in large quantities.
In the East with grains of cumin is an interesting tradition. The bride and groom must carry this seed through the wedding ceremony. If they do not lose and do not drop it, their family life is sure to be happy.