Greens salad not too often emerges on our table. Many people do not consider salad leaves as a normal product, thinking that it is suitable only for a young lady who dreams of losing weight or a convinced vegetarian. And, of course, you can't feed a real man with lettuce. However, the irony in this case is quite inappropriate – this "light" product according to its useful properties will give odds to many and familiar to all dishes.Content:
Lettuce eaten with pleasure by the Romans. Its name comes from Herba Salata, which translated from Latin means "salt grass". In those days, the salad for a long time did not bother, the leaves of the plant just large tore and watered olive oil, salted. In the middle ages lettuce was served as a side dish to meat dishes.Than useful salad
Useful properties of lettuce and greens
Few people know that all salad greens contain vitamin C and carotene in such quantity that it can give odds to many fruits and vegetables.
- For example, parsley and dill are rich in carotene, its content in these products is 1.5 milligrams per 100 grams of greens. This is more than in such well-known sources of carotene as tomatoes and carrot.
Carotenoids, which are found in lettuce leaves and greens in large quantities, will help to maintain good vision, are useful for skin and mucous health, can protect even from disease Alzheimer's.
- Vitamin C in lettuce contains from 10 to 50 milligrams per 100 grams of product, almost the same as a recognized leader in the content of this necessary vitamin lemons.
- in Addition, this useful plant contains folic acid, b vitamins and minerals. Folic acid is useful for both children and their parents. Especially well it can affect the reproductive function of women and men.
- V lettuce leaves a lot of vitamin K, which is involved in the regulation of blood clotting.
- All green leaves contain various minerals: sodium, copper, iodine, potassium, phosphorus, zinc and iron.
Lettuce: how to store and consume
- Lettuce leaves should be stored in the refrigerator, in the vegetable compartment.
- Salad under storage needs to be wrapped in paper or plastic bag, otherwise it will dry and dry.
- Before you send the salad to the refrigerator for storage, lettuce leaves should be dried. The wet leaves in the bag will wither quickly.
- For filing on the table leaves do not need to cut large you can break it, but a little easy to understand.
- do Not prepare the salad in advance, season and salt it is immediately before use.
- Salad is not only used for decoration, it serves as a garnish, and addition to meat and fish, and as a standalone product.
- a Great combination is lettuce with garlic or lemon juice. In this case, they do not even need to be salted.
Still on topic:
the Secrets of cooking lettuce
Types of leafy salads
Types of salads have more than a hundred, but all of them are conditionally divided into leaf and head:
- Arugula is a leafy salad with a pronounced spicy flavor. This species has been known for more than two millennia. Arugula is very much appreciated for the record content of carotenoids and vitamin C.
- iceberg is the most popular type of salad which got its name because of its storage during delivery, lettuce leaves were sprinkled with ice at the time. The leaves of the Iceberg crunch appetizing as fresh cabbage. However the taste of this product is much tastier and softer. Contains a large amount of water.
- The crispy salad includes leaves of Romaine, which is rich in sodium, red Radicchio – it contains a lot of calcium and iron, Chinese cabbage – head salad.
- Very nice look on the holiday table leaves of oak-Leaf lettuce or bright with small leaves of roots.
- Curly Frieze or greenish-red Lollo Rosso are indispensable for serving with meat or fish dishes.