Dr. Atkins ' Unique nutrition system (low-carb Atkins diet) was developed in the 70s of the 20th century. The basis of the system its author, an American cardiologist, outlined in the book "the Revolutionary diet of Dr. Atkins", published in 1972. The second edition of this book appeared in 20 years, in 1992, entitled "a New revolutionary diet Dr. Atkins." Many Hollywood stars are brad pitt, Jennifer Aniston, Catherine Zeta Jones and others – s success enjoyed this unique diet.
How the Atkins diet works: the principle of weight loss
The Main idea of Dr. Atkins is to switch the human metabolism so that as the main source of energy the body does not use glucose, and ketone body. This process – ketosis – laid evolution as a way to adapt to food shortages. For the synthesis of ketone bodies the body uses own fat reserves, which leads to effective and persistent weight loss. Ketosis starts if the body lacks insulin – for the production of which, in turn, carbohydrates are needed. Therefore, if you limit the amount of carbohydrates in food, you can start the process of splitting the accumulated fat. The Atkins diet is a safe and non-fasting way to limit the intake of carbohydrates and start the process of ketosis.
The Stages of the diet Atkins
Atkins Diet consists of 4 stages with rather strict mandatory rules.
- Lasts 14 days, which shall include ketosis.
The amount of carbohydrates consumed is sharply reduced to 20 g/day, as a result of normal metabolism is replaced by the production of ketone bodies. to Monitor the amount eaten is not required, it is enough not to overeat.
- There should be 4-5 times a day. The gap between the meals (including at night) can not be less than 6 hours.
- Definitely need to drink a lot – from 2 to 3.5 litres of still water a day.
- Excluded from the diet: bread, any flour products, potatoes, sweet vegetables (carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, tomato), nuts, sweet and starchy fruits (bananas, all citrus, strawberries, pineapples), all sweets
- Permitted without limitation: meat, fish, seafood, eggs, cottage cheese, milk and dairy products, any vegetable oils, fats
- Permitted in minimum quantities: cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, cabbage, green olives, leafy vegetables
- the Result of this phase will be the launch of ketosis and weight loss from 2 to 5 kg (depending on body)
- can Last from a month to several years, depending on how many kilograms you need to lose. This is the active phase of fat digestion, the main challenge is to make it safe
- the Amount of carbohydrates is increased by 5 g every week, with constant weight control. If the weight loss has stopped, return to the previous level. Ketosis different people have stops carbohydrates from 20 grams to 150 grams per day, and determine your individual dosage is possible only experimentally
- the Menu can be varied, especially at the expense of your favorite products. The rate of weight loss can also vary. The main thing – a constant weight loss with persisting ketosis. Physical activity can increase the amount of carbohydrates
- Starts when reached ideal weight. The task is to determine how many carbohydrates you can now consume without the danger of accumulating fat again
- Gradually increase your carbs by 10g a week. Watch the weight. The slower carbohydrates will be introduced into the diet, the more products and Goodies will be available to you in the end
- as soon As the fix weight gain – remove the most recent Supplement from your diet. All you have reached your available level of carbohydrate intake
- Lasts for, ideally, the rest of my life. Now your task is not to gain weight again. Continue to control the amount of carbohydrates in your food. If you pounce on the sweet – the weight will increase dramatically, and you have to start again with the 1st phase. Critical for you weight gain of more than 3 kg
- Specified at 3rd stage diets the amount of carbs is safe for you. Just stick with it and that's enough
Results and advantages of Atkins diet
One of the main advantages of this food system is its individuality. The norm of products each person has its own, and the Atkins diet – one of the few that allow you to calculate the critical threshold of acceptable carbohydrates for you.
Diet allows you to reset almost any number of kilograms. At the same time, weight loss is gradual, and you learn to control your diet and select the products you need.
According to numerous reviews, weight loss is not accompanied by a strong sense of hunger. Ketone bodies block appetite, and the process of weight loss is no longer associated with painful sensations.
There are also many positive reviews about the cosmetic effect of the Atkins diet: no matter how much you lose weight, the body remains elastic and the skin is not sags. This is ensured by the presence in the diet of a large amount of animal protein.
Contraindications and danger of the power system Atkins
Like any low-carb diet, Atkins system is suitable primarily for healthy people. Consult your doctor before you start to lose weight. There are a number of diseases in which ketosis is undesirable, and sometimes even life-threatening:
- diseases kidneys
- endocrine diseases, adrenal diseases
- pancreatic diseases
Very important: trying to lose weight too fast on a ketone diet is harmful. Ketosis is a physiological condition, normal for the body. However, its excessive forcing can lead to ketoacidosis, then due to an acute shortage of insulin, the acid-base balance will change and acidification will occur tissues in the body. It is very dangerous and can even cause a coma. It is necessary to constantly monitor yourself: if from your skin, urine, from the mouth there was a smell of acetone, immediately reduce the rate of weight loss and increase the amount of carbohydrates in your diet.
If you stick to the recommendations, you can buy a beautiful body and join the many fans of the Robert Atkins diet around the world.