Cholesterol: what is it and why is it needed? The reasons for the increase and the factors contributing to the reduction of cholesterol. Nutrition with high cholesterol: how to choose the right diet


diet with high cholesterol in the blood
Cholesterol is a lipid that is needed as a building material for all cells of the body.

It plays an important role in the activity of nervous and immune system. It is also necessary for the production of vitamin D, some female and male sex hormones.

About 80 % of this lipid is produced by our body itself. This involves the kidneys, liver, intestines, adrenal glands, sex glands. The remaining 20 % comes from food.

It is Important to understand! There are two types of cholesterol:

  1. 1. High-molecular lipoproteins, or "good" cholesterol. These molecules are highly soluble and are not prone to release into the sediment, which protects the vessels from atherosclerotic changes.
  2. 2. Low molecular weight lipoproteins. They are called "bad" cholesterol. They are slightly soluble and lead to the formation of atherosclerotic plaques in the vessels. This increases risk of heart attack or ischemic stroke, as well as other cardiovascular complications.

Bad cholesterol

In the Russian Federation, blood cholesterol is measured in mmol/l (mmol per liter).

Cholesterol in women and men

Norm in blood of this organic compound, regardless of age group and sex – 4,8-5,0 mmol/l. At such level atherosclerotic plaques practically do not increase.

Causes increase of the norm

Factors that increase the level of "bad" cholesterol include:

  • Smoking;
  • overweight;
  • overeating;
  • insufficient physical activity;
  • poor nutrition: excessive consumption of animal fats and sweet confectionery;
  • bile stasis in the liver, with various violations of this organ;
  • some endocrine disorders;

Elevated cholesterol

Elevated levels of "bad" cholesterol can also be observed in some liver and kidney diseases accompanied by impaired biosynthesis of the "right" lipoproteins in these organs. It can also be hereditary.

Important to know! Especially attentive to the level of cholesterol in the blood should be women after 50 years, during menopause. Be sure to take tests, and in case of exceeding the norm, consult your doctor for treatment and determine the diet you need.


Principles of the diet for high cholesterol

Correct nutrition and adherence to a reasonable diet will prevent the increase in "bad" cholesterol, or help to reduce its level, if necessary.

Scientific Studies have shown that vegetarians almost no atherosclerosis. Therefore, the first thing that can be recommended for the normalization of cholesterol is a vegetarian diet.

If you are not ready for this, in any case you need to reduce the consumption of animal fats and include in your diet foods rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals.

Diet with high cholesterol

Make a menu for a week to make it easier to rebuild the usual diet. This will help you our table of cholesterol in the products.

Low cholesterol High content cholesterol
Vegetables by-Products
Porridge Lamb
Pasta Beef
Rice Eggs
cottage Cheese sour Cream
Milk Cakes

Products, lowering the level of cholesterol in the blood

To make Changes in diet pleasant for you, we have selected a list of delicious foods that help reduce the level of "bad" lipid:

  • pistachios
  • walnuts
  • cherry
  • blueberries
  • mixture of cinnamon and honey.

What else to do?

Besides the dieting required give up Smoking, alcohol and include in your life regular exercise.

Be Sure to choose the physical activity that suits you personally and brings pleasure. It can be dancing, fitness, water aerobics or running with friends in the morning. Or maybe you like to swim in the pool? The main thing – it's fun and good mood!

All of the above activities will help you not only to normalize cholesterol levels, but also if necessary slim.

Related posts